Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hi I'm a newbie...need help please with knitting! :)

I dream one day of making a nice warm fuzzy scarfs or nice socks :)
    I'm just a begginer at knitting, would anyone have any tips for a newbie like me?
    Any certain yarn i should use?
    Needles are easy it says right in every book, but the right yarn is not easy to find!
    Any suggestions or tips for knitting would be great!
    i would really appreciate as many suggestions/tips as possible!

P,S. i know how to croche, is knitting similar to that??
    it looks harder than crocheing,
    does anyone know of any helpful books i can buy? or magazines?

thanks so much in advance!

Jane.

2. # ADS

Yay, new knitter! Yes knitting is similar to crochet in there is just loops through loops, and different in that most knitting involves less wrapping and looping than crochet.

I like Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitting without Tears" for simple patterns, but left handed knitters should ignore what she says about knitting left handed.

Some nice online videos are here:
    http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/

(Try both continental and english style knitting, and go with which ever one is more comfortable-- there's nothing that you can do with one that you can't do with the other.)

Yarns are loosely classified into "weights" by diameter-- bulky, worsted, dk, sock, baby, lace etc. If you want to try a certain yarn with a pattern try to check the weight of the yarn you want to use compared to the weight of the yarn http://www.spinderellas.com/patterns/yarnchart.html for details on how to measure (just remember that not all yarn manufacturers agree with each other, so make swatches)

What kind of yarn you use is up to you. I think that it's best to pick a smooth yarn for learning to knit so that you can see you stitches clearly but after that whatever fits the project.

chrome grrrl Thank you so much for all the suggestions, i really love that site, i watched the regular begginer's video it is the best, and i can't believe she has those viceos for free, that's amazing!!!

I'll look at the continental and at the english style knitting :)

And some time today i realized that my mom used to knitt she showed me the way she does it, but i might still stick with the begginer's tape, because i like and feel comfortable doing it the way she has :)

Thanks so much for your respoinse!

I appreciate it.

Jane.

in my opinion crochet is way easier than knitting, but I have known many knitters who think the opposite.

Maybe if you started new with both at the same time you would think they were just as easy as the other?

Knitting is definitely more versatile, I'm sorry to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkster

Maybe if you started new with both at the same time you would think they were just as easy as the other?
    Interesting idea, you might have something there. I learned crochet first (as a child) and then knitting as an adult, but once I learned to knit all crochet has turned incidental to knitting (like crochet stitching edgings and seams.) Knitting was a PITA for me to figure out, but once I was comfortable with it I preferred it over crochet.

I learned to knit in October 2005 and since then I have made a lot of things. I have made several scarfs (fuzzy one too), couple of hats, sweater, top (making the second one now).

We have an unprofit organization in our neighbourhood which gives free class for children 0 to 4 and their moms/dads. I was (still am) taking my son there and I saw on their calender they had knitting classes twice a month only for adults. So, finally, in October last year I went to one class and that is how long it took - one hour - to learn how to cast on, knit, and bind off. I continue going to the classes to learn new stitches and new "tricks". Later I found the web page that chromegrrrl mentioned (www.knittinghelp.com) and whenever I have a problem I go there to find the answer. We are resuming the classes next month (no classes during summer, too hot) and I can't wait to go see my knittng buddies.

You can check in your community if somebody is giving classes, even if they are not free. Some stores that sell yarn offer knitting classes. I am sure you can learn from books but seeing a life knitter is much much better. The videos on www.knittinghelp.com are wonderful and they can help you a lot. Better than any book for that matter.

About crocheting vs. knitting - which one is easier - I can't say because I don't know how to crochet. I bought set of crocheting needles and tried to crochet but it is hard I must say. I can only make a chain and then when I try to do the second row it goes to hard. I wish Amy put some crocheting videos on her web site too.

Roberta

Excellent sock knitting tutorial, all you need to know is to cast on, knit , purl , bind off:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/So..._Beginning.htm

My new favorite place!

april again,

Thanks for sharing the web page. I have never tried making socks but I like to try. This web page will really come handy. I went through it and everythig is explaind in simple English, with pictures...just wonderful.

Are you knitting socks now? If you are, tell me what kind of yarn are you using.

Roberta

I did some practice socks just in lambs pride just to see if I could do it on bigger DPNs. Now I am using Sockotta sock yarn (45% cotton, 40% superwash and 15% nylon) in a pretty blue and white for the MIL for Christmas on size 2 DPNs. I REALLY want to get socks soar on circulars( the book) and try some on that but I felt like I should get a couple pair under my belt first!

Can someone explain the popularity of knitting socks? Lots of people seem to knit them, and it always seems to me like a huge amount of effort to make a garment that will wear out pretty quickly. Are they really fun to knit? Because if so, I will ignore utility and try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads