Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Scrapbook Ever: making for a Marine

Alright, here's the skinny.
    Me and the bf have been together for 3 years but back in the summer of 2002 he went to boot camp. It was our honeymoon period and it sucked that he was gone.

We live together now and I was cleaning out our closet and found all of the letters that I and his family wrote to him in boot camp.

I've never done a scrapbook before and was wondering the best way to incorporate all of my letters, I literally wrote to him every single day.

I know he'll love and appreciate this considering he is no longer in the military.

Can any experienced or crafty gals help me?

Anonymous_Jade

2. # ADS

Do you have envelopes with the letters? If you do, incorporate them, cancelled postage and all. The folded letters could be tucked into envelopes that you've embellished with photos or drawings or maps and affixed to pages in either chronological order or according to some sort of theme.

You could also create envelopes out of interesting papers for the same purpose.

Selected phrases or key concepts could be photo enlarged or just copied out in calligraphy or whatever for those pages.

I remember an old book called.. Hm.. '*Something* and Sabine..' It was about these 2 strangers who had a relationship through written correspondence. The entire book was comprised of physical letters and postcards, quite attractive and romantic. I think the book went on as a series. I think it's a great idea for your scrapbook, and I'm sure one of the ladies here on Get Crafty can come up with the actual book title, it was pretty big when it was pubished. (I'm such a space cadet sometimes.)

Griffin and Sabine. You usually can find a copy on eBay or amazon. There's a trilogy, but I only read the first one maybe ten years ago.

I do have the physical letters but I'm not sure what he did with the actual envelopes they came in. I have no envelopes so I thought I'd just put them in new envelopes labeled with the days that I wrote him

I did have another question though. Should I put the letters in catagories like one catagory for myself, another for his family, and another for his friends?

Or should I just put them in the scrapbook according to date they were written? That means the letters will be mixed up. Kinda like a diary of letters going from day to day.

I'm having troubles on how to embellish the pages. Considering I wrote a lot there won't be lots of room but I still need something.

Does anyone have any scrapbooking websites I can visit and see if they have like camafloge paper or something like that?

I agree, I think it's best to arrange your book chronologically.

Another idea is to use old newspaper/magazine clippings from that period. If you don't have any lying around, you can always just photocopy some from the library or print out news online (eg. BBC News).

You can either just use the clippings as background or as featured items. I think it may look kinda nice if the printouts are a bit rough and rugged.. Gives them a bit more texture and feeling that way.

Other items that may be interesting are old receipts, flyers, etc. from the period. Maybe this is a way to communicate what you've done while he's away.. A movie stub, a bookstore receipt, groceries, etc..

You can also place some items beside the letters to give some reference. Eg. You wrote him about your day being lonely so you bought flowers to cheer yourself up--place pressed flowers on the page. ( Or is that cheeky..??!)

Those are awesome suggestions. I love the newspaper clippings and such. He was in bootcamp during 9/11 not that that's romatic or anything but that was definitly a scare for me and him as well.

So I shouldn't do sections then, just by the chronological date. I thought so too. I thought that might be a little more personal for him that way.

I have another question though. I was going through some of his letters from his family and one aunt in particular did not like me. So very often in her letters she bashed me. This didn't affect him and his decision about us but I'm not sure I feel disrespected.

Using my anger I don't want to put them in but this is for HIM not me and this is what she was thinking at the time so I'm leaning toward including them anyway. Should I?

Yep.

Two things. One, all creative effort must have yin and yang. The negative bits complement the positive. Most of the stuff is positive in this album, but it will evoke memories that are painful, too.

Second, it's his book. You are creating it, but if you leave out someone the lack will be noticed by him. I'm assuming he kept those letters for some reason... And quite likely the letters from her had lots more stuff than a few harsh words about you.

You don't have to feature them prominently. These might be good ones to put in envelopes you've made if you aren't doing it with all of them already. If they are folded up, you don't have to read them again, and he might not either.

These family schisms usually heal. One of my aunts hated my father for something like ten years for no understandable reason (other than she's nuts...), but came around to loving him with just as little reason. She was still a part of our lives then and now.

Thanks so much, I am going to include them because I know she cares about him and like you said the book is for him after all.

Do you know of any scrapbooking sites that I can go to and get some neat paper or little 3 dimensional objects I can take to the pages for embellishment?

Oh I had another question for taping the envelopes to the pages do I have to use a special kind of tape? I know ACID-FREE is big in scrapbooking but I'm not quite sure why. What does acid-free do exactly?

Any other tips or suggestions? Right now I'm just organizing.

Oh do you know where I can get a large album to put these in. Today I discovers loads more of letter that weren't in the crate. I have a lot more letters than I originally thought.

Thanks so much.

sounds like a very special project - something he is really going to treasure. you are such a great gf to do this!

re: acid-free - basically, all paper is acidic and contains lignin(unless othewise specified). This will damage any and all photos you include. Lignin is naturally occuring in paper - it's a wood product and it is what makes paper yellow. You can't really stop it from happening, but you can prevent further damage/aging by choosing acid-free, lignin-free products for your album(this included adhesives as well). The only way to prevent the paper from yellowing, etc is to copy the letters onto special acid-free/lignin-free paper.

If you are looking for a REALLY big album, I think the biggest you can buy is 12x15 and Creative Memories makes it. http://creativememories.com At least that is the biggest I've ever seen. Creative Memories has classes to help you learn how to scrapbook - it's all on the website - that is how I very first learned and I am glad I did it. It was free and a good starting point. They will even come to your house!

I agree with putting in all the letters. It helps tell the story, which is what making an album is all about!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads