when joanns is the only game in town...

where do you buy fabric? I've thought about ordering online but I need to feel it before I buy. I can never find what I'm looking for. Plus, they are being stingy with their coupons now that they know their only competition is wal-mart. (there are a few special order upholstery places, too, but you have to have a minimum yardage- not cheap)

I basically want a place where I can rummage through remnants. Should I plan a day to NY to buy fabric (i'm waaay upstate in rochester), make do with the choices available, or are there any other goldmines that you can think of?

2. # ADS

Fabric.com now has swatches...so do alot of other on-line sources actually.

Plan a day in NYC. There's nothing like it, which you probably already know. I can tell you where all the cheapo remnant stores are, if you don't have a list. It's my experience that once JoAnn gets its claws into a town, your sewing days are over, unless you really like overly precious quilting cotton.

do you have hancock fabrics in ny? they're similar to joanne's, but more fabric selection, and cheaper too. they have better coupons too!

absolutely plan a day into nyc! rochester isn't that far, and there really is nothing like the fabric stores in nyc. people come from all over the world to shop there.

just check the hours and locations of stores before you go so you don't spend time lost and can go at the right time. at least one of my very favorite fabric stores is owned by orthodox or hacidic (i realize they're not the same, i just can't remember which they are) jews and is closed on saturdays (their sabbath).

I really wish I could contribute to this thread..but I can't.

I hate joann's when it comes to fabrics. They have a lot of good ol' craftin stuff, but their fabric is just so pricey! It's funny because you know they don't pay the people who make it a lot of money.

I'm having the same problem finding a good yarn place for my knitting...I want something unique, and chain stores don't offer that.

chat up the workers at the store and find out what they do with their unpopular bolts of fabric or remnants, they may end up somewhere near you. In seattle there is a thrift store that has a fabric sale of store rejects every year or so, around halloween. Thrift stores get tons of fabric and some of them, like the goodwill or big chains, throw anything away that is less than a couple yards. Go thrift store shopping. There isn't always a lot of choice, but I've found amazing fabric for pennies. THe world is full of unfinished projects. Good luck.

Remove Ads

Ads