Thread: Yarn Help????

Yarn Help????

I received several yarn donations - and some of my own stock got a tad dirty between moving and storage.

I also need to be able to use/offer it to my knitting and crochet students ASAP!

Any good tips on how to wash loose yarn (skein - not knit, crochetted or woven yet)?

I have a huge variety - from alpaca to silk. Some hand-spun. I already know not to use Woolite! (I was told Ivory is the best - and just a couple of drops.)

Thank you!

2. # ADS

I've washed skeins by simply bathing them in lukewarm to cold water with little to no soap at all. Tie up the ends if possible. Don't squeeze or rub. If they are just dusty that should do. Flush gently under running water and then press dry between thick towels. Leave for further drying on towels near a heat source or outside.
    Then again I've even dyed skeins in boiling baths and no harm done, as long as you handle them with care and never tumble dry!
    Good luck with it.

I was checking out the "tips 'n' tricks" section on www.crochetpatterncentral.com, and one lady suggested stitcking the skein in an old pair of stockings and tieing a knot above / below the skein. Seemed like a good idea, although I haven't tried it yet.

Not a bad idea indeed. That's funny though, I keep certain skeins in old nylon socks to keep them clean. If you pull the thread from the inside out, you can use it that way till it's finished.

Remove Ads

Ads