Thread: Diaper Cakes

Diaper Cakes

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I am going to a baby shower in 2 weeks and would like to make a diaper cake. Does anyone have any pictures they would like to showcase?

I am low on ideas and would love to see what the crafty women here have done!

Thanks
    Suzie

2. # ADS

Just finished!

Hi everyone,

I didn't get any replies so I am guessing everyone was just as new to the diaper cake scene as I am. I did some research and found a website with free diaper cake instructions. For anyone else looking to make a diaper cake it is at http://www.creative-baby-shower-ideas.com. They are also running a diaper cake contest until the end of October so I entered my diaper cake in it.

I decided to make a teddy bear sports diaper cake because the dad is crazy about sports. Here it is!

And here is a close up of the top.

Thanks!
    Suzie

that's a lot less gross than what i was picturing, which was a cake shaped like a diaper.

No, I think "diaper cakes" are made by wrapping disposable diapers around a dowel to create tiers like a wedding cake.

(although something tells me there is an industrious baker out there who has made an actual cake to look like a diaper before - in all likelihood with an overly graphic use of chocolate fudge - I am scared to google it)

I had only seen them before where they pretty much just looked like circles of diapers with a fancy bow or rattles made into a cake topper.

I have to say cinnamonspice, your "icing" is way cuter than what I have seen in the past or what I would have come up with.

Welcome to getcrafty. I hope you stick around and share some more of your ideas.

I had only seen ones made of (I thought) cloth diapers. But rolled up to look like a cake.

I have to say - I am amazed at the one you created! It's like a whole shower-full of gifts in one cake! Well done! (And welcome!)

I actually googled Diaper Cakes, as I have never heard of them before and some of them were very cool...Just google "Diaper Cakes" and there are pages of them...Make sure you do the image search

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum and the nice comments about my diaper cake. This is the rolled diaper cake method. I think there are also block diaper cakes and a swirl pattern that people use. I have never seen one with cloth diapers, it might look more like a real cake being made of cloth.

Now that I made my first, I think I am going to have a hard time going back to traditional baby shower gifts. Must of caught the crafting bug!

Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonspice

Now that I made my first, I think I am going to have a hard time going back to traditional baby shower gifts. Must of caught the crafting bug!

Suzie

Yeah, we've all been there. It's addicting.

This is fantastic! Would you like to add this idea to the GetCrafty Community Book? You can add your idea by going to the bottom of the Forums page and putting it in there.

Great first cake! I've been making cakes for years...and it's very addictive (especially the reaction at showers)! You can make them in a myriad of shapes as well (castles, trains, babies, etc.) so the possiblities are endless. My favorites are the ones I did from organic diapers.

Cloth cakes don't necessarily look more like cakes. Here's one:
    http://www.larkstudioart.com/Images/...othcupcake.JPG

Remove Ads

Ads