Silksreening Alternatives

I know how to print using regular silkscreen, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried alternatives to buying spendy silksreen. I've heard my friends talk of using that sheer curtain material or nylons, but I haven't gotten around to trying that out.

Has one else ever trying a different material on their screens?

On a side note:
    Has anyone done more than 3 colors on a piece? I've been trying to, but I'm having trouble with lining stuff up right and dividing up a picture correctly.. so if you have tips, let me hear them!

2. # ADS

i've used old curtain sheer material on a large embroidery hoop and masking out the negative space with mod podge with some very nice results. one thing i've found that helps a lot is to put some pigment in the mod podge so you know what you've covered....

If you have photoshop on your machine, there are filters that can help you divide pictures into more levels.
    As for lining them up, well that is just tricky and takes practice.

Yeah, I use Macromedia's Fireworks, which is really similar to Photoshop. I've gotten to dividing up pictures into multiple layers, I just somehow get confused when it comes to more than 2 colors. I think I'll just have to practice. Oh well.

I guess I will have to try that curtain material because I can't afford $20+ a yard on silkscreen itself.

Thanks for the tips!

Remove Ads

Ads