Your help please?

My daughter-in-law and I had plans of doing local craft fairs together. We had purchased lots of materials to prepare things for the upcoming holiday season. Before we could get much done, she became very ill and she recently left us to take her place in heaven.
    My son is determined to get all her crafts finished but he isn't very crafty so my granddaughter and I are taking up the challenge. We have figured out most of her projects but there are a couple that have got us puzzled.
    She had purchased a 1" dowel and had asked him to cut it for her but she hadn't told him how to cut it yet. She had also purchased several boxes of candy canes. We found her shopping list and saw she had written "candle holders" next to the dowel and candy canes. I can come up with some ideas but they don't seem to work into anything that would work as a candle holder. Can anyone think of a pattern she might have been using? Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you and God Bless.

2. # ADS

I'm trying to think of what she might have been thinking, but not having any luck.
    I'll keep thinking on it, and you.
    Take care.

What I meant to say is "I'm so sorry."

Thank you for your kindness. My granddaughter and I have almost everything done. Been trying to finish projects she had started as gifts for the kids, too. The last big project we had worked on together was their wedding, last April. Keep trying to remember things she said while we were shopping for supplies Sometimes it helps to trigger an image of what she was planning. Thanks again. God Bless all.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I googled dowel, candy cane, and candle holder and came up with a few links.

here
    here
    and here

My guess would be that if the dowel is about the size of a taper candle, you attach three or four candy canes around the outside of it. So it would stand on the hooks of the canes and the candle would sit on the dowel and be supported by the stick parts of the canes.

If the dowel is bigger - closer to the size of a pillar cande - you could glue a lot of candy canes (right side up or upside down).

The first kind of suggests wrought iron scroll work and the second is a bit more of a solid candy cane fence if that makes any sense. Either way you might want to tie a little ribbon around it to hide the seams and give it a finished look.

Good luck with your projects - this sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate her memory with your granddaughter.

Thank you both so much. I never realized candy canes could be used so many different ways. And all these years I just enjoyed eating them. Think we decided to cut down the dowel and try your idea of the tapers (it is about 1" so that sounds close). My granddaughter liked your idea of tying the ribbon around it and thought of adding a pointsetta, holly or some little ornaments. She'll experiment and come up with something cute. Thanks again for taking your time to help us. God Bless and Happy Holidays to you both

Remove Ads

Ads