should ideas be free?

Being known as creative, lots of people assk me for ideas. If I was a career woman I would consider myself a consultant & charge for my time> How do I benefit from being crafty? I don't want to feel cheated od my time, yet is this just catty?

2. # ADS

If it bothers you to give out ideas, then maybe it's best for you to simply say something like "I don't know" or similar when people ask you for input. If giving out ideas is taking up time you don't want to spend, then don't do it. Or charge for it. Come up with a consultant's fee or rate. If people are asking you to spill the beans about your hard-won expertise in certain areas, then this would definitely be appropriate.

Make money on it: If you find that people are asking you about the same things, then you could put everything you know down into a PDF, and sell the PDF.

if people are asking you ideas as friends or fellow crafters, like, "hey, what kind of present do you think a 16 year old boy would like?" i think it would be pretty bitchy to ask them for money. if people are asking you for ideas that will be used for THEIR financial gain, then yeah, you might want to say that you charge for consulting, but i doubt people would take you up on it unless you're a professional crafter with a big clientele.

Well, it's not like you have to sit around for hours or anything thinking up ideas for people when they ask, you know? I'd be offended if I asked someone for an idea and they wanted me to pay them! I would probably just go ask someone else.

When people ask me for ideas, I'm flattered. I love when people think I'm creative enough to dole out advice!

It's one thing if you're sitting down and drawing out patterns for people, but I think if someone says "Hey, I noticed you're pretty good at crafting, can you help me think of something to make my grandma for her birthday?" that it would be pretty rude to charge.

I think it is all about scale and reciprocity.

If a close friend or someone says hey, I want to make something special for my mom, she's really into gardening, do you have any ideas. And you can say, wait, I just saw something online, and spend five minutes writing an email directing her to a tutorial. No big deal. (And I suspect this isn't the sort of thing you are referring to)

If the coworker you barely know tries to get you to design her wedding invitations, and favors, and centerpieces and then wants you to help her shop and hold her hand and walk her through assembly, then that is unfair and would certainly make you feel resentful.

If it is another creative person asking for ideas, you have the opportunity of hitting them up for ideas sometime when you are stumped. When it is entirely one-sided, you can start to feel a little used.

Obviously there is a lot of middle ground, but I get what you're saying.

For friends and family, you may just want to go with an "I don't know" if it feels like they are starting to take advantage.

With your extended circle, maybe consulting is an option. A pre-emptive website may be in order. Maybe for $50, you can give a bride-to-be and her friends a supply list and personalized instructions for $2 favors that look like they cost $10 and everybody comes out ahead. (weddings always strike me as times when otherwise non-crafty people try to be crafty to save money)

If you establish the service concept and your boundaries in advance, you can direct the coworker to your website. Might be easier/nicer than responding to requests for help with "sure, for $50."

And as stella said, certainly in the case of people who want to sell your ideas, you should be compensated somehow.

But otherwise, you can always politely decline.

thanks. i needed that, all of you

I love the idea of being a crafty consultant...

Remove Ads

Ads