Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hippie Patchwork Dresses

Hi! I love these hippie patchwork dresses by Piece by Piece: http://www.peace-by-piece.com/dresses/index.html and Calico Forest: http://www.calicoforest.com/dresses.htm.htm They're so beautiful!

But how do I make them??

Alas, I can't find any patterns on the web. I've looked for hours and hours. I'm petite: 5' tall and 95 lbs, so I'd rather make a dress than buy one so it fits.

There doesn't seem to be any patterns out there. I'll even modify a similar pattern if I have to. I'm a beginner sewer and I'd done a little bit of patchwork. But where do I find a pattern(s) that is similar and how do I alter it?

If anybody can give me any clues or leads, I would be so grateful! Thanks!

2. # ADS

Hi, I am new also but I make tops and dresses like this for myself. Try the tutorial below and just extend it to make it a dress. That is the closest and most simple one that I can find, and the one that I based all of my stuff off of. Good luck!

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/sh...sort=1&cat=all

Oops! I got an error when clicking on your link.

These dresses were very vogue in the 70's when I was a teenager, you might try some vintage pattern sites.

~Debikay

I hope this isn''t too late to reply:

I have made dozens of these dresses and shirts. The thing to remember is that they''re all rectangles. Especially if you do the basic flat/straight neckline, each piece is a patchwork rectangle. I used to do some sketches on graph paper with colored pencils, then sewed the panels. Just think of the bust as a rectangle, the skirt part as a Huge rectangle, and then the straps as 2 small ones. If you really like the "shoelace" look up the back, then just cut the bust section in 1/2, then lace up the back. Note: if you do patchwork on the bust section, especially if you use corduroy, you may want to put in a lining, as there is a tend to chafe...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Good luck!

The dresses are darling.

I hope you make one and post a photo!

those remind me of T-dresses my mom used to make for my sister and i when we were kids. they were so cute. the pattern was similar to the Folkwear Afghan nomad dress, but even simpler. my mom would use a patchwork square or applique for the front, and she made our dolls dresses out of the scraps.

How cool. I like those dresses very much. Where can i get some? Or how hard is it to make one yourself? This could be the new fashion this year.

Thoes dresses are really lovely. Puts me right back to the 60's, when I was in my 20's. I loved that era in fashion. I hope it does make a comeback.

Jen
    These dresses were also popular among college kids in the mid-90's. My friends and I used to make a ton of them. So comfortable! We did them mostly by modifiying sundress patterns. You just follow the pattern, but you make the fabric used for the skirt out of patchwork rectangles or squares. I just dug out some of the old patterns I used and while I'm not sure they are available anymore, here are a couple: McCall's Easy Stitch 'n Save #8201 (I like version A) and Butterick Fast & Easy #4558.

Making your own pattern for this kind of dress is also very simple if you know how to do it. Sundresses are pretty forgiving in terms of fit- so you can usually get a good result making a pattern out of newspaper or brown kraft paper. If you do this, I'd recommend trying it out using some old bedsheets before you start it with the fabric you want to use.

There are lots of places to buy precut squares to make the skirt part of the dress go even faster. My shop sells precut squares and rectangles for quilting- and they would be perfect for a project like this. I also do kits- and this post might be the inspiration for a future kit design. If you are interested, stop on by at www.stitchsimple.com/quilt-fabric-pieces (for squares and rectangles) or for kits: http://www.stitchsimple.com/shopping...%20Quilt%20Kit

Stitch Simple Jen
    www.stitchsimple.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads