Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dremel tool advice?

Anyone out there have a Dremel drill? The great present season is coming up and I thought I might put it on my list. It seems like it would be perfect for various crafty drilling (etc) tasks, but I want to check in with this great crafty brain trust to see how anyone who has one feels about it-- likes, dislikes, suggestions-- all would be appreciated!

2. # ADS

i'm kind of a wuss and a bit afraid to use mine too much.... though i've been happy with it for the times that i've used it to drill and grind things down. however, i've been much happier using other people's dremels - mine is the rechargable model, which tends to not keep it's charge for long. so if you get one, i say don't go for the cordless model.

Oh I love my Dremel!! Although I haven't used it a ton, it really does come in quite handy for crafts and odd household jobs.
    My parents bought me one of the sets w/ oodles of attachments, and a storage case. One of these days I'll buy more attachments. I just keep forgetting about them until I realize I need the one that I don't have!
    So I'd say that depending on your needs, check out the various sets and see which one fits your potential needs the best. If you're a do-it-yourselfer like I am, you might be happier with a bigger set.

I got one for my husband for his birthday and he hasn't used it too much yet, but he loves it. The first thing he used it for was actually to cut a boot mat in half so we could fit it in an odd spot, but he wants to use it for his art/craft projects as well.

ooh, such good advice, thank you all!

i was thinking i wanted the extra super-duper accessories package, so thanks for the extra encouragement on that, Sewlittletime. and sarabell, i thought that i wanted the cordless model, so it helps to know that the charge is less than optimal.

make sure you get a universal chuck... the chucks that come with the dremel suck hosewater & don't accomodate tiny drill bits :)

yay! more excellent advice alexia, thank you!

I have a corded Dremel and it's the most versatile tool in my shop! My advice comes straight out of the users guide: don't apply pressure. The trick to using it is in the number of passes. ( I use my rotary tool mostly for shaping wood)

i prefer Foredom flex-shafts, which are more powerful but also more expensive.

I have the corded kind and have had no problems. I've used it to carve details on a bed. It was easier than using my chisel sets, but I combined the two anyway. I haven't used it very much other than on the bed. Good luck.

Tomico

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads