styrofoam ball ornaments...how to hang??

My friend just made a bunch of styrofoam ball ornaments using sequins, beads and pins...problem is, she doesn't know how to hang them!

Suggestions? I've never made one and I really don't know what to tell her unless I could get ahold of them and just trial and error them.

2. # ADS

i'd either suggest making a loop of ribbon and pinning it on (use some glue too so it doesn't pull out) or just make a wire loop and shove it in there with a little glue (st least i've found that the new more porous styrofoam needs glue to hold in pins, etc.) i've done both with good results.

what sort of glue would you suggest? I would imagine that hot glue would melt it (I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a low-heat type gun but I could be wrong)

Hot glue-- it does melt it a bit, but it'll work; I've done it. Or I think they have a styrofoam glue, but I'm not sure about that.

elmer's white glue. just be patient and let it dry.
    hot glue is a good temporary fix but give it a good tug and you've gotta start all over again. that is, if you're lucky and it only takes out what you intended to adhere with the glue, and not everything that's around it.... when i made the styro ornaments, almost every single pin came out with minimal effort. so i put a little bit of glue towards the bottom of each pin before pushing it in completely.

what if you bent a piece of wire into spiral with a loop at the top, and screwed the spiral into the styrofoam? that's how i would do it.

i agree with Stella. i was thinking of some kind of barbed hook type connection.

She could also try screwing in cup holders or tiny brass "o" rings that can be found at the hardware store. With the "o" rings, she could add the string to that. Less chance of the ornament loosing the the suspension device that way. Also don't craft stores have something that you shove through and screw from the other side? Or, the wire could be shoved all the way through and the bent in loops on either end to prevent it from falling off and giving something to hook from.

Tomico

just to further clarify, when i do my wire loop, i tend to make a long "tail" (the part that gets shoved in the ball) on it and twist it up, which then requires that it get's "screwed" in a little. the added surface area on the wire allows it to hold more glue. usually i'll let the glue set a little while so it gets a little tacky before completely shoving it in.

Your devices look amazing, please advise where you got them from? I am from the UK https://postcodefinder.net/, check postcodefinder.net. But I think these things are not allowed in my location. You must be from the USA, I know herbs are allowed there in several states. What state are you from? Anyway, it is excellent that you have this possibility at your end. Hope you make a lot of fun using it.
    Last edited by mulikotr; 12-25-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads