organizing sewing patterns?

hi,

i've been cutting out patterns for some of my goodies and also ones i get from mags and books..

just wondering how some of you keep them intact and protected while saving space in a cramped room :)

2. # ADS

I use manila envelopes that are the same size as pattern envelopes for my handmade patterns.

They usually fold up pretty nice and you can keen them in plastic sleeves inside a three-ring binder. Then, if you have lots, you can have a binder for different types (eg, clothes, pillows, kitchen linens, whathaveyou) or just different sections within a binder by using tabbed dividers.

I would second the recommendation for the use of three-ring binders. I have all of my craft ideas in binders and it has made my crafting area [also known as a corner in my bedroom] much more neat and tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by artgeek
    They usually fold up pretty nice and you can keen them in plastic sleeves inside a three-ring binder. Then, if you have lots, you can have a binder for different types (eg, clothes, pillows, kitchen linens, whathaveyou) or just different sections within a binder by using tabbed dividers.
    this is what I was going to suggest, the great thing about this is that if you have stuff that you cut out of magazines you can also give them their own page and can pull out just the page to use it.
    This is far too organized for me, but if I were more organized I would totally do this.

~Q

I stored some patterns in a really large metal box (looked like one for index cards, except it held patterns perfectly). When that was outgrown, I used a drawer in a plastic dresser. Now, they are on a shelf inset on my sewing table.

thanks! i think i'll go with the binder :]

I definately agree with the clear plastic sleeved in binders method. For larger patterns I don't want to fold and as my 'to be filed' pile, I use an old medium size suitcase I've painted so it' doesn't look too odd in my living room. The ribbon belts and lingerie pockets are perfect for holding everything in place when I move the case!

Two words: Comic Sleeves. I have a massive collection of vintage patterns, and I was having storage issues because the envelopes can be so fragile. I bought 100 acid free vinyl comic sleeves at my DH's fave comic shop for about 5 bucks, and then put each pattern in it's own sleeve. I scanned the pattern fronts into my computer, printed them out 2 to a side (4 per page) and arranged them in a three ring binder by pattern type (i.e. dresses, bottoms, tops, etc.) and then organized one of those plastic rolling drawers like the patterns at the store. It makes it easy to find whatever it is that I feel like making, and the patterns / notes / home-drafted pattern alterations and such are all together and fresh.
    -Corinne

Remove Ads

Ads