Tips on Making Greeting Cards

Hey everyone, hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction. I take a lot of pictures, and I want to make handmade greeting cards with some of them - not the kind you can order with your prints, but the kind where your photo is physically glued to nice card stock. A few questions for anyone who may have done this before:

What kind of glue should I use so that the photos stay put, but don't get messed up? Back when I took photography classes many years ago, we used some kind of spray mount, but I don't remember what it was called or whether it would be good to make greeting cards. What's the best kind of glue and where do I get it?

Also, does anyone have a favorite place for getting HIGH QUALITY digital prints made?

Any other tips are most welcome.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS

I've heard good things about mpix.com from photography buffs, although I have not used them myself. Snapfish or drugstore prints tend to work for me.

As for adhesives, I wouldn't mess with a spray mount for a card. That may still be your best option for matting larger prints - I don't have much experience with that - but the scrapbooking industry has opened up a lot of options.

Stop by a scrapbooking store if there is one in your area. All of their stuff is archival quality and designed for mounting photos. (so it won't get lumpy or make the photo curl or anything weird)

They should be able to show you products that are permanent adhesives as well as products that would allow the recipient to remove the photo for framing after they receive the card.

you can't go wrong with a good old glue stick. just make sure it's says that it's acid free and archival quality and then you're all set!

as for prints, have you checked with your local photography shop? many of them have very good digital print facilities.

erika

Costco prints on Fuji Crystal Archive paper. The machines they use vary from store to store. The prices are really low, too.

Yes! Paste is archival safe and loved by librarians. Thats good enough for me- I use it daily in all of my paper/photo projects.

transfer your photo directly onto your card

going in a different direction you could transfer the image directly onto your card. its a simple technique. you need a color copy of the photograph, a nice, heavy, watercolor paper type of card. strathmore is a good brand, the cards with the deckled edges...you also need paint thinner or turpentine, a small brush, and rubber gloves. working in a well ventilated area...take the copy of your picture and lay it face down on your card. (if you are using a picture of your house or something that has writing on it, make sure you use the reversal mode on the copy machine when making the copy. then when you transfer it on the card, it will turn out same as the original). make sure the image is positioned correctly on the card. pour out a small amount of the paint remover into a small bowl, and using a small brush, paint a small amount of the thinner over the image. dampen the image, but dont saturate it. with rubber gloved fingers, gently rub the image to transfer the color onto the card stock. holding down a corner so that the paper wont shift, gently lift the paper to see if the image has completely transferred. if it hasnt, go back and add a bit more thinner and rub a bit more. it make take a couple of tries to get it right, but the results are really soft and special. another idea is to make black and white images, do the transfer and then after the card has completely dried, go back and hand tint the image using soft, diluted water colors.

you can also use this technique using any color copied image...

Remove Ads

Ads