Thread: In need of Yarn

In need of Yarn

Hello, Is there anyone out there that has any old, scrap, or unwanted yarn that is just taking up space in your home? Im looking for more baby or sport weight yarn, but I will take what ever... Thanks so much for stopping and taking the time to read my message!! Message me back and let me know your thoughts...

T.Hale
    Oregon

2. # ADS

If you are desperate for yarn I suggest you frog (unravel) some old sweaters. There are some nice instructions here: http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/thrifty.html

I started doing this because I couldn't afford to buy the good yarn that I wanted at a fancy yarn shop, but I could afford to buy some nice marino wool or cashmere sweaters at the Salvation for about $2. One sweater will give you TONS of yarn to work with.

i frog sweaters too. you can get high-quality designer merino, cashmere, or silk blend sweaters at thrift stores for $5-10 or less, and you end up with plenty of nice yarn to reknit another sweater or a few smaller projects. make sure to choose sweaters that are full-fashioned and not cut from knit yardage. the hardest thing is unlinking the pieces, but after that, it' cake. just skein the yarn and wash it in hot water to release the kinks.

Great! So nice to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this is not totally crazy to do. I knitted my first self-designed sweaters from dull old ones that I found in my parents attic. Then I started to buy second hands. Now I sometimes even use knitwear that I find in the trash. A lot of my work in my shop is made from re-used material, and as you can see (I hope) it looks brand new. I really recommend this way of re-using material, and saving it from the incinerator, to everybody!

Wow! What a great idea. I do have a couple of old sweaters I can do this to. As a matter of fact, one of them is the right color for a pet afghan I''m crocheting for a friend.

Thanks for the idea!!

I have seen crochet blankets at the thrift store as well,and have also found bags of yarn too. Also Tuesday Mornings sometimes has bags of yarn like 8 to 10 skeins for $5. At Gardenridge I got 100% wool yarn for like 25 cents. I look high and low for deals on yarn. Garage and estate sales are also a good place.

Look at what JackRabbit did with 'old' yarn and other trash for the upcycling Etsy contest. And totally rightly won:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5326060

Astrid, I saw that, but I didn't realize she had won. It's amazing! I would love to see it in person. (Too bad I don't have the $1,500 to buy it.)

well, I was inspired by this thread to go ravel one of my mom's old sweaters...ramie/cotton, good for dishclothes and those starched holiday angels.

My local dollar store (Dollar Tree) usually sells yarn for a $1 a skein. I even found some Lion Brand Boucle the other day!

Remove Ads

Ads