I need some help with my sewing machine

I need some help with my sewing machine

I got my machine on saturday. I will briefly describe my problem. I bought a Brother 3100 off ebay. I had trouble threading the machine both the upper and the lower, but I kept doing it until I had it down pat. Then drawing the lower thread I can do it now ususally on the first atempt. But am I supposed to make sure there is still a loop and the upper thread is in the loop? The way the instuctions look Im supposed to pull 6 inches from the top and bottom and tuck it behind the pressor foot? And second when I have everything threaded and run scraps through the machine my thread breaks sometimes ( I went out and bought good thread and this still happens), there are needle holes in the scrap but none of the thred stays in the fabric. Im getting frustrated. I just want to get this machine going so I can pratice and sew in a straight line. I already planned some gifts for upcoming events and bought the fabric . I purchased sewing for dummies and so far (I''m to page 85) I have not found the answers to my questions.I also suspect I need a smaller needle too there was a purple one in the machine and it came with extra purple and blue needles I know purple is heavy duty and blue is meduim duty so do I nee to buy a yellow needle too?

2. # ADS

moving this to share-a-craft so it will get the proper attention. unfortunately that's all i can do to help you out here!

i get very frustrated with sewing machines too, which is why the lovely new one that i've had over a month now is still sitting in its box....

Ok I got it going I have done 2 sucessful straight stitches and 2 sucessful reverse stitches.

But I still need advice on what type of needle to use.

the needle depends on the type of fabric you are sewing with, and the color varies by brand. some brands don't even have a color on them. usually the needle package will say what type of fabric they are used for. as far as i know, all sewing machines take the same type of needle, so you don't have to buy only one brand. i usually use Schmetz needles, and go by the fabric type listed on the package.

Ok well now my lower thread in coming up in large clumps and jamming. It seems like everytime I get something right something new goes wrong. Why is it doing that could it be I put too much thread on the bobbin?

your bobbin may be threaded wrong, or you may need to adjust your bobbin tension.

unless there are any Brother experts here, you might be better off finding a Brother dealer in your area to help you figure it out. it's pretty hard to diagnose sewing machine problems without seeing them!

Remove Ads

Ads