"selling your stuff" questions

I'm new to the craft-selling business, and I've got a buttload of questions for seasoned veterans. (oh, the rhyming)

1. I don't have a business name. Should I make one? Does it really make a difference whether you have a clever business name, or you just put your name and contact info on the product?

2. Should I create an email address specifically for my craft-selling? or just use my personal one.

I'm making crocheted coffee-sleeves for my local coffeeshop, and I've got to come up with a nice-looking package. The owner suggested small clear plastic bags (not the ziplock kind), which I think is a great idea. I figured I'd just stick a piece of cardstock in the bag with my name, email address, and some notes on washing instructions. Once I find a place to buy the plastic bags, I'll try to post some pictures of the finished packages so I can get some feedback. Thanks!

2. # ADS

usually they have those clear cellophane bags at stores that carry baking/cake decorating/bridal type supplies. they also have them at party stores, but it's harder to find plain clear ones.

http://www.myownlabels.com/bags.htm

sells them, but i've never bought from them.

i think a business name would be good. a brand type name is more memorable than someone's name and a bland description.

I can barely decide on a name for a pet, so I'd imagine trying to find a clever business name (that's not "Designs by Jes") would be frightening.

This brings me to another question: How do you come up with your business name? Especially if your business will encompass more than just one type of item. I've been tossing around the idea of stealing a term from botany, but I can't seem to come up with anything... which is probably why I've resigned myself to just a card with a name / email address on it.

re: contact info

I would definitely get an email address specifically for selling your crafts. It is easy enough to get a free account - you can even have it auto-forward to your regular account.

But if you are more or less going to be leaving these around town, you don't know what sort of mailing list you could wind up on. For both your sanity and your safety, I wouldn't give away too much personal information.

re: naming your business

I don't think you need to kill yourself coming up with something clever. I don't actually see anything wrong with Designs by Jes for your business.

That said, what about Craftasaurus Rex? (Sarah gets distracted envisioning dinosaur + glue gun logos)

If your business name seems blah, you can be more clever with a name for your product line. (Coffee Couture? Java Pants?)

My sister and I named our future global conglomerate s&em designs (for Sarah & Emily). We played up the double entendre-ness of it all by naming our t-shirt empire and craftiness blog "craftfetish." But the umbrella name means that any other projects we dream up won't be shoeboxed in by craftfetish. Always important to give your global conglomerate room to grow :)

I think you have to brand it. And it needs to be catchy - as in, easy to remember. Think about search marketing and an easy-to-recall website or email.

Sometimes I see things on here or etsy - and view someone's site and product line, then months later realise I might want to buy something. And I need to remember how to search for it.

I totally think you should have a naming contest right here. And the winner gets a coffee sleeve.

And craftfetish is right - you can easily get a free gmail account, and then rename it with your brand name.

I don't think your brand necessarily needs to limit you or suggest what you do. It could be something simple like.....Simply Jes.

I would like to suggest another place to get bags--Uline. They have really good prices and super quick delivery. Also really good customer service if you happen to need to talk to them in person.

http://www.uline.com

I know what you mean about coming up with a name that will encompass all the different things you do. I am having that problem right now. I started out with the name re-conceived.com because I wanted to specifically sell things that are made out recycled materials. But then I got an etsy account under my name ChristineRenee because I wanted to be able to make and sell whatever. And now I have another site ButtonStorm.com so I can do custom buttons and stuff for people. I'm starting to feel like I have a multiple personality disorder.

So, I guess what I'm saying is I'm not the best person to give you advice on that one! Ha!

Thanks so much for the input you guys. I definitely will be posting pictures of the little suckers once I get a chance.

As for a business name, I go through a lot of different fads (for a while I was super into geometry, then I was really into botany), and I don't want to pick something I'll get sick of. I was thinking of combining my middle name (Mae) with part of my last name (Lynch) to end up with Maelyn. Maelyn Designs. yay, nay?

cackalackie, I love the idea of a naming contest for these little buggers! That takes the pressure off of me and spreads it around to all of you!! :)

there is a coffee shop i go to sometimes that sells fleece coffee cup sleeves, and they call them "Mocha Muffs" which is hilarious to me, because, muff. ha! i am 12!

i think Java Pants is cute, too.

Maelyn Designs is nice. i like the way it sounds.

tee hee - muffs.

I like Maelyn Designs too. (You may have people call you Maelyn, but that's not so bad. It's a pretty name.)

Maelyn has the advantage of being pretty neutral - you could put together a logo in earth tones with a cool botanical in the back, then dump the leaves if you get tired of 'em.

There are a few important points to remember before deciding on a domain/business name.

1. Easy to remember
    2. Short (try to keep the domain name as short as possible)
    3. Does the name say what your business is about? This is important.
    4. Don''t mispell. For example don''t spell Crafty as Krafty.

For the e-mail question. Yes, you will want to have a e-mail address that is specific for your business. For example your site is www.craftsomething.com you will want your e-mail to be something like:

orders@craftsomething.com

Having a e-mail address that ties into your business site is just more professional than say using a Yahoo or gmail address.

Remove Ads

Ads