Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Naming my business

* miscellanea
    * the reluctant artist
    * artgeek unlimited
    * ? ? ?

So, those are my nominees for my fledgling crafty business. I have pros/cons about them, but will wait to say more until I get some basic feedback on these options.

Business details: A variety for crafts for sale, many focusing on reuse/recycling and paper arts (greeting cards, collage, cigar box purses), but I want some wiggle room to include fabric arts or sewing projects, printmaking, and embroidery.

What I need to know: What do you think of these names? What do they make you think of? Any suggestions or food for thought?

Thanks!

2. # ADS

I vote strongly against The Reluctant Artist. Words like "reluctant" don't inspire confidence, and you're trying to convince people to give you their money.

Remember, part of what you're selling is you. "Reluctant" tells me you're not going to be crafty regularly, you may not send my stuff on time, you don't really want to be don't what you're doing.

I know all of the above is incorrect about you, but the average joe off the street doesn't know you personally.

I really like the way miscellanea sounds. It makes me think of a shop with lots of odd little things in drawers and jars.

But if a lot of people know you as artgeek already then it might be good to go with artgeek unlimited so people who know you from GetCrafty and wherever else you might be using the name will recognize you.

I agree with the person who likes miscellanea. It sound like I could get ANYTHING there and the name sonds prety but in a kinda chaotic way.

I think miscellanea would be an OK name for a shop. But for a business or online shop, I think you need something a bit less... general. Not that you need to specify what you do/sell, though.

I love the name artgeek - or artgeek something-or-other. It's catchy - and says a lot about your personality or mission. I think it's brilliant.

i like the first two... but think about it.. miscellania talks about the businness and the reluctant artist about you. It all boils down to HOW PERSONAL do you want it to be??

by the way... artgeek is cool but without the unlimited...

Quote Originally Posted by riotous lioness
    I vote strongly against The Reluctant Artist. Words like "reluctant" don't inspire confidence, and you're trying to convince people to give you their money.

Remember, part of what you're selling is you. "Reluctant" tells me you're not going to be crafty regularly, you may not send my stuff on time, you don't really want to be don't what you're doing.

I know all of the above is incorrect about you, but the average joe off the street doesn't know you personally.
    i thought the same thing... however, i think that using "artgeek" in the name is a good idea. :-)

I'd vote for artgeek. Check to see if that domain is available without the limited. It's always best to go with a name that defines what it is you do (ie; art in artgeek) and also the shorter and easier to remember as well as easy to spell the better.

I like artgeek as well.

And I concur with the comments about the Reluctant Artist. That comes across as "I didn't really want to be an artist, but nothing else worked out" as opposed to "I'm bursting with so much creativity that I'm just compelled to be an artist and how lucky you are to be able to buy my amazing creations"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads