weighted stuffing?

Hi everyone,

I'm making a stuffed bunny as an Easter gift for a 9 month old baby. The instructions say to use a weighted stuffing in the bottom so the bunny stands upright... can anyone comment on that?

I found something that said specifically NOT to use rice or birdseed because it could attract insects. How about buckwheat hulls? Any ideas?

2. # ADS

Buckwheat hulls aren't supposed to attract insects and they are certainly used as filling for pillows and other stuff, so it is probably a good option.

I know they also make stuffing pellets expressly for this purpose.

I guess it would depend on the material you used for the bunny (to make sure the stuffing can't come out) and what kind of stuffing you can find.

In the unlikely event that the baby is allergic to buckwheat, I don't know if that is only a consequence of ingesting it or if hugging the bunny would also cause problems.

stuffing pellets can be hard to find. they don't carry them at Jo-Ann any more, and they didn't have them at any of the other big craft stores i found. i needed weighted stuffing for a project a while ago, and i ended up using cheap plastic pony beads from the craft store. they didn't work very well, so i don't recommend them! it seems like there must be a place to get plastic pellets.

for a baby, it seems like something washable would be best since babies get drool, dirt, and food all over toys. buckwheat hulls are definitely not washable.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    stuffing pellets can be hard to find. they don't carry them at Jo-Ann any more, and they didn't have them at any of the other big craft stores i found. i needed weighted stuffing for a project a while ago, and i ended up using cheap plastic pony beads from the craft store. they didn't work very well, so i don't recommend them! it seems like there must be a place to get plastic pellets.

for a baby, it seems like something washable would be best since babies get drool, dirt, and food all over toys. buckwheat hulls are definitely not washable.
    The pony beads sounded like a genius solution - I'm sorry they didn't work out.

Froogle didn't come up with any bricks and mortar pellet-carrying stores for me, but they are all over the internet. Having to pay shipping on sn item designed to be heavy isn't the greatest deal, but at least you can get 'em.

Create for Less carries them or I found a bunch of ebay auctions.

Could you just use some rocks or pebbles, or even some old marbles? Washable, shouldn't attract insects, and are heavy?

Yeah marbles are a good shout.

Remove Ads

Ads