Something special for Ava. Need ideas.

My daughter is 10 months old. I read that it is around this time that a child finds that special blanket or toy that they carry everywhere. Kinda like Linus (Is that the right character?) Regardless, I want to make her something to have. I was thinking a blanket, but a stuffed animal would be nice also. I don't have much time on my hands, so it would need to be something pretty simple. Does anyone have ideas? I am not very craft savvy. If you refer me to a website, I need one that goes into detail and is easy to follow. Thank you so much.
    -Charlie

2. # ADS

you could make the ever popular, ever wonderful fleece tie blanket. I'm sure you've seen these. I make them for everyone, including my 8 year old cousin, and they are always always a hit. 2 yards of fleece in 2 different colors (or one pattern and one complimentary color). Lay them over eachother and cut approx 4 inch slits, one inch apart, along all sides. Then simply tie the two pieces of fabric together, and voila! It may be less than you want to make, but they are so soft and comfortable...I know it's the first thing I turn to when I need comforting!

If you're talking about a comfort item, I made my friend (she's 23) a scarf last year and she says she always wears it when she's stressed or needs comforting. So maybe some type of clothing? hehe, I'm remembering an episode where Lucy tells Linus he can't go carrying that blanket around forever and he tells her, "maybe I'll have it made into a sports coat". :)

If you're thinking more along the lines of stuffed animal, there's a really good tutorial on craftster for felt stuffed animals. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5843.0 <that's the link. :) Good luck on your project! I'm sure whatever you make, she' ll love it.

this completeley off topic but anyways.

LOVE THE NAME!!

terribly sorry for that little spaz. its just Ava is my name too!

Quote Originally Posted by juilel85
    you could make the ever popular, ever wonderful fleece tie blanket.
    Oh these are great! I haven't made any, but my sister-in-law made one for us when we moved up here (boy do we use it now!). My cats absolutely LOVE it. The fleece feels so good to them, they start kneading it and get this weird look on their face. Kids love the feel of fleece though.

I've been making a version of "Taggies" blankets (http://www.taggies.com) for two cousins' new babies. I wanted to make them bigger (28") and wanted to have squares of different kiddie print fleece in the middle. (that's why I stole the idea, but I promise I won't sell them)
    I made one in a couple of hours tonight, fleece is so forgiving to work with. I also embroiderend the babies names so they are more personal.
    When I get a picture I'll post it.
    On this board somewhere a mom said she liked the taggies blankets. (It was in the "crafting for baby" thread last month.)
    Lucky Ava!

I love the name too. It was on our short list until we realised we both pronounced it differently. (The way he said it rhymed with "Have a.")

Incidentally, my daughter just turned one a couple of weeks ago. She didn't take to a dummy (pacifier) like her big sister had, and now I really wish she had something that proved soothing to her. So I know what you're talking about.

Remove Ads

Ads