Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles?

Does anybody have these?

http://www.herrschners.com/products/...__id-3478.html

I kind of want to get them, but I don't know if they are really as great as they seem. Any comments from the peanut gallery?
    -Corinne

2. # ADS

I've wondered about these myself! It seems like such a smart idea. Somebody here must have tried them...

i have never tried to denise, but i do have the boye : http://www.herrschners.com/products/...475__tab-.html

the only real difference between them and the denise is that they have metal needles, which i prefer. people seem to have problems with the needles unscrewing from the cables but i've found if you attach them using the method they advise and you put a lot of force into it, they won't come undone during a single piece. not that i don't keep an eye on them though!

but it is great to not have to buy a new circular needle for every project!

in my various internet travels over the years of knitting, a lot of people really love the denise needles. i think the joins are supposed to be the best. but, knit picks has come out recently with their own system. not sure how that measures up. i would check knitter's review for info. they probably have reviews for both and or you can search the forums for info.

eta: i don't have them, because i like having lots of different needles. i put them in a vase and make a "bouquet" out of them. cheesy, but i like it. :-)

I have the boye kind, and they are great. I think the benefit of the denise version would be availability of extra parts, because the knitting stores seems to stock those items more than boye.

I got these a few years ago as a gift and love love love them. It''s so nice to know that I can just jump into a project.

I haven''t used straight needles since I got these. Knitting is so much more comfortable with short bendy needles (I have rather short arms). Plus, because they''re plastic, they''re silent which means that I can take them to class/movies/wherever and I don''t bother anyone. I''ve even used these in the place of double sided (although it''s a bit of a hassle).

My only critique is that once you pull all the cords out of the box it''s almost impossible to figure out how to fit them back in again the same way. They should include a diagram with the box. I love that the box fits into a bookcase along with my knitting books. It makes life that much more neat.

I''ve never had a cord come unattached from a needle.

Last time I checked these are the only needles you are allowed to carry on a plane.

After my dog ate a whole bunch of cords I had to order more and the experience couldn''t have been more pleasant. Everything arrived quickly and as ordered.

Love love LOVE my Denise needles and feel compelled to jump into any thread, anywhere, mentioning them to proclaim their wonderfulness. Now that interchangeable needles (several brands) exist, I don't know why anyone would choose to use any other kind.

I got my Denises shortly after I learned to knit, and don't know what I'd do without them - so many knitting techniques I think of as essential (being able to change the length of your cord or the size of your needle tips, or to convert your needle to a stitch holder) are impossible with old-fashioned circulars, let alone straight needles!

I also recently got a Boye Needlemaster set (did you know the same people invented both brands?). They're good in their own way too; I like that they include some smaller sizes. The tips also stay on more securely - Denises do have a tendency to come apart when inadvertently twisted. Sometimes you want needles that will stay tightly screwed together until you force them apart, and that's what Needlemasters are for. Other times you want to be able to change out needle-parts quickly and often, and that's when you break out the Denises. I'm glad I have both now.

The biggest flaw of Denise needles is that they wear out after a few years - some of my tip sizes are now unusable because they just keep falling off the cord. The upside is that Denise's customer service is INSANELY good. Send them any broken or defective part, and they'll immediately ship you out a new one, no questions asked.

I'm planning to give away all my old straight needles very soon. I haven't used them in years.

ETA: Legally you can carry any kind of knitting needles on a plane. But plastic interchangeables will undoubtedly get you a lot less hassle than long metal sticks.

Oh YES!!!

I got them on my last trip to the US and I LOVE them. I take them everywhere, and it makes life so easy, I barely need anything else in my knitting bag...
    I really recommend them to anyone who is serious about knitting, and the fact that they are airline safe is a great extra if you travel a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrin
    I'm planning to give away all my old straight needles very soon. I haven't used them in years.
    i'll take them!!! me me me!!!

i'm a big old nerd--and love to have all the different kinds of needles--straight, dpns, metal, plactic, bamboo. i do have my grandma's boye set, and since they're close to 20 yrs old they do have some flaws. (i.e. needles that won't come unscrewed from the cord anymore) but they're a great resource to have when i want to jump right into a new project.

Remove Ads

Ads