What to do with this yarn...

Hello everyone,
    I'm a more-or-less a beginning knitter (ok...so I've known how to do it for a couple of years, but I've never moved beyond scarves and a few hats). For Christmas, my friend bought me a skein of yarn when she was in Germany. The yarn is varying shades of orange and is called GGH Travertino. From what I can tell (the tag is in German), the weight is 50g and the length is 90m. I think. I really want to knit something with this yarn, but I only have one skein and I don't what I can do with just the one skein and very limited experience. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do with this?

2. # ADS

Here's their english page about it: http://www.ggh-garn.de/produkt_en.php?Gruppe=7&ID=41

You've only got about 100 yards of yarn to work with... Maybe some glovelets or leg warmers? An ascot? an ipod/cellphone cozi?

i know that i love the skinny scarf look, so you could maybe do a thin scarf and use it wrap it around a few times. if not that, arm or leg warmers would be fun.

Those German novelty yarns! I can't help myself from buying them when they go on clearance. So I've had the what-to-do-with-90m-of-yarn dilemma before.
    One thing I've done is knit a purse with it. I knit a rectangle in stockinette stitch, then sewed up the sides. I had enough yarn left over to loop around as the strap.
    Another thing you could do is use the nice yarn as a border of something made with a cheap, abundant yarn in one of the colors from the Travertino. I've done that, too--a scarf made from Lion Brand Homespun, with a few rows of some novelty yarn at each end.

Once a friend gave me some home-spun yarn from her farm in Sweden and I had this same problem. I've ended up using it to make flowers to embellish various items. I LOVE these patterns on knitty: http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTpetals.html

Here's a pic of my finished product:
    http://jewell.facebook.com/photo.php...9&id=125300099

I also used the petal pattern to knit balloons and here's how they turned out:
    http://www.getcrafty.com/userfiles/a...keypark006.jpg

Anjanette

hmm... I think that link was wrong this should be the flower: http://photos-728.ak.facebook.com/ip...22728_2224.jpg

Anjanette

i spin fancy yarns, so i tend to use small amounts, a neckwarmer would be fantastic, it is basically a square with either sewn on snaps or buttons (a buttonhole is super easy, i swear!) also, if you knit it on huge needles, just a plain knit stitch, it can go much further and is still fun to do. you could also get a skein of something else that you like that matches to add to it.

www.beingnatashafialkov.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by natashafialkov
    i spin fancy yarns, so i tend to use small amounts, a neckwarmer would be fantastic, it is basically a square with either sewn on snaps or buttons (a buttonhole is super easy, i swear!) also, if you knit it on huge needles, just a plain knit stitch, it can go much further and is still fun to do. you could also get a skein of something else that you like that matches to add to it.

www.beingnatashafialkov.blogspot.com
    if you knit in the round on a pair of circulars you don't even need buttons!

and i understand the whole single skein gift phenomenon. i'm the only person (seriously) in my family, and circle of friends who knit, so i frequently get single balls/skeins as gifts from well meaning people who have NO clue how much it takes to make something more substantial than a scarf.

Remove Ads

Ads