Thread: busy book ideas

busy book ideas

I want to make a busy book for my toddler. I'm thinking I'll go with felt pages and a lot of hot glue, since I don't sew that well. As for the pages, the ideas I have right now are buttons, zipper, pocket, shoe lace, snaps, velcro. I'm just curious to see if any of you have made one before and what you did in it, or any other ideas you may have for one. :)

2. # ADS

When I was a kid, my Mom made me a busy pillow for long car trips, it was awesome - I played with it at home all the time. If I remember right - the front was sectioned off into rooms, like a doll house and she made a little doll and clothes that hung in to closet section of the pillow. I could tuck her into bed, dress her, have her ride her bike (the wheels spun, no idea how my Mom did that) forgotten now what the other "rooms" were.

my mom made my son a busy book & here is what she included:

*velcro - it's a pocket and inside she left $2.00 & note telling him to ask me to take him for an ice cream - cute & fun!
    *zipper - unzips to reveal G <3 N (gram loves nik)
    *2 very large buttons w/ accompanying button holes
    *snaps - unsnaps to reveal birdie iron-on patch
    *clip - I'm not sure the real name, but she made an applique dog & the clip part hooks on a teeny d-ring like a leash - the clip is plastic and the leash part goes up & attaches at the top of the page
    *toggle - like you see on drawstrings nowadays; the kind to have to pinch to release; she made kind of a pocket with a drawstring top & put a toy inside for him to find. I think this is a little hard for him at this age, but he loves pockets, so whatever
    *buckle - she made what looks like the top of a pair of pants(beltloops & all) & added the buckle like a belt! She picked the plaastic snap-together kind rather than the traditional buckle

My mom sews a lot, so hers was pretty fancy & a lot nicer than I would have made. But she just used felt for the pages & binder rings to hold it all together(reinforced button holes to put the rings through). My kiddo really likes it a lot and brings it to me all the time to play with together. I like that I can just add more pages as he grows(like adding shoes laces, etc)

If you sew at all, I would sew it, rather than glue it. Only because I don't know if the glue will hold a zipper. You don't really need to know how to sew anything other than a straight line to make this! A lot you can just do by hand - like buttons

Remove Ads

Ads