Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

old window frames!!

I am in crafter's heaven right now!! A lady in my town gave me almost 20 huuugggggeeeee very old windows!! They had come from an old house, and are painted white(most have cracked off.. which gives them their character!). I have tons of ideas...I want to use some as giant picture collages...do some faux stained glass.. maybe a pot rack or two.. Do any of you have any wonderful ideas, and maybe pictures?? I would love to hear your opinions!!!!

2. # ADS

We had all of our windows in our house replaced back in 2004. I was completely ignorant as to the crafty possibilities they held. They were the old, rope style ones--way too drafty in the house only because of their age, etc. but they don't make windows like they used to that's for sure. Anyway, I remember a woman pulling up in front of our house and taking a lot of the windows and thinking, what the heck does she want with those? When I told my mom, she told me about the faux stained glass and collage possibilities.

I'd love to see pictures of your finished results. Have fun!

moving this to share a craft....

I was in someone's home where they had used 1 or 2 (can't remember) old windows and created a sort of room divider.

They had one of those great room type layouts and there was no wall between the kitchen and the den or living room. They hung the windows over the kitcehn counter (without the glass) and it created a nice divider that also allowed the light to flow. They had decorated the windows with draping silk flowers.

Hope I explained that good enough for you to know what I mean.
    If you are looking for public domain images, be sure to check out our trio of websites - http://www.freevintageart.com free images based on American copyright law, http://www.reusableart.com our first and oldest site with public domain images from around the world, and http://www.thefamousartists.com a celebration of the works of some of the world's most famous artists.

I have a friend who is an artist and carpenter; he moved into a fully open loft and used old windows and framing to build a wall to seperate out the bedroom from the rest of the place, he still got natural light but was also to get a sense of privacy... I guess you sort of need a converted factory or warehouse for that though.

If you have separate panes, you can cut mats and mount photos behind.

If the glass isn't that good, you can have mirror cut and fit then mounted. This looks nice with a shelf at the bottom.

Use hinges to link three together for a screen or divider. If you want a more opaque look, you can spray paint, or collage, or even fit sheers on thin rods.

On the chance that you have a bookcase or hutch that could use one, old windows can be nice hinged to cover yet still display.

When you run out of indoor projects, if you have a garden or backyard, you could use them as a trellis or to add interest to a privacy fence.

Thank you guys!! these ideas are really wonderful!

I think you should take a ook at http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5534079532

Idea

Have you ever thought of maybe using one as a light feature? Maybe frosting the glass and blacking some of it out in a pattern and then installing some sort of light behind it could make for something interesting.
    also you could try for an interesting coffee table, you could make a faux window with an outdoors scenery through it to liven up a dingy room, You could use it for a cold frame if you do gardening. Or maybe stick it right in your garden along with some other things you can find like an old sink, chair and so on. (kinda bringing the inside out)
    Gosh there are so many things! i am jealous. you must post the things you end up doing with them i am interested in the pot rack idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads