How can i alter the Steffi jacket to fit my growing belly?

I plan on altering the Steffi jacket from Burdastyle and would like do it so i can wear it throughout my pregnancy.

Since i live in Australia and the weather will be warming up soon (i hope) i'd like to make it as a summer jacket. Do you have any fabric suggestions? Something light but that will hold the shape well.
    As for the alterations i've had suggestions to crop the jacket to above my bump or to alter it like this jacket.
    I'm favouring the second suggestion so far, any other ideas? Let me know by monday and i'll show you what i come up with next week.

2. # ADS

I second suggestion #2, but I don't have any helpful advice. Just encouragement!

This is my most recent alteration, i did an alteration of this dress last week and felt i could improve on it a whole lot more. This is what i came up with:

Read more about the dress here and see my how-to here.

I'll be making the Steffi jacket this weekend. I'm going to make a muslin from calico first as i'd like to be sure about the alterations and sizing before i make it from nice fabric. I'll post here once i'm done and you can tell me what you think and whether i should make any changes etc.

Maybe linen and a short sleeve for the jacket? That would be very cute!

The dress turned out super cute!

I've been working on a muslin for the Steffi jacket this week. For this version i decided to cut away the front of the jacket from the bust to the side seams at the hem. I also shortened the sleeves.

I'll show the finished garment next week then i plan to make another Steffi but with a different alteration. You can read more about it here. Then i will start working on Jane, i plan to alter the waistband of the shorts to accommodate my bump and for later the top to allow for breastfeeding.

Any suggestions for either my Steffi or Jane alterations are encouraged. Any clue how I can change the Jane top into a breastfeeding friendly top?

After a serious bout of pregnancy 'DUH' brain i managed to get my Steffi jacket finished except for the lining, you can read more about it here
    and see my How-To here.

(I sooooo need a haircut!)

This week i'll be making the Steffi
    jacket again but this time i'll be giving it an entirely different alteration, i'm thinking of making it into a bolero. I may leave off the collar or change it somehow and i'd still like it to fasten at the front somehow. What do you think?
    After this i'll be making the Jane
    pattern (pajamas), altering the shorts slightly so the waistline will sit underneath my bump and i'd also like to alter the top to a nursing top. I'm thinking of somehow making it like a nursing bra with the flip down cup that clips onto the strap or another suggestion that has been made is to make an opening under the bust and have it fasten with snaps or something else which is easy to fasten with one hand. Let me know of any suggestions you have.[/img]

My second alteration of the Steffi jacket from Burdastyle.

This time i cropped the jacket into a bolero and curved the front pieces which i then fastened with a red button from my stash. The jacket is made from some recycled denim i found at the thrift store and some cute apple print cotton for the lining.

You can read more about how i made this jacket here and see my how-to here.

See here for my next project.

nikki, you are an inspiration!

Remove Ads

Ads