Thread: Yarn Question

Yarn Question

I found a pattern I really want to try, but the pattern recommends Noro yarn, and I'd like to use something cheaper. The yarn weight is DK, and I couldn't find anything at A. C. Moore in that weight when I looked. I'd like to do the multi-colored version, so I'm looking for a multi-colored yarn that will work for this pattern.
    So I'm debating if I should just use whatever yarn I like, or if the DK weight is necessary. I haven't knit anything in a few months so I'm feeling a little rusty. Normally I'd be confident enough to throw caution to the wind and try anything. But not now. So I thought I'd ask my fellow knitters for some advice.
    http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTargosy.html
    That is the pattern. Have any of you tried it? Any suggestions for using cheaper yarn? I think, for example, Lion Brand Homespun would be too thick, but maybe something like that Sublime mohair stuff might work.

2. # ADS

It looks like many different yarns would work for that pattern. I personally could not stand to have any mohair blend anywhere near my neck. I wouldn't use an acrylic because it doesn't tend to breathe very well, and I wouldn't use cotton because on a scarf that I tied around my neck it would stretch out.

Here's a link to lots of variations on the pattern:
    http://inahappycamper.eponym.com/blo...Recharged.html

You can also search the knitty pool for examples to give you ideas:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/knitty/pool/

Good luck with your project!

Thank you! This was great! I saw that someone used Patons SWS, which is definitely something I could find at the cheap yarn store, and that someone else used sock yarn. Now I feel inspired to start knitting again! (I've been working on the same plastic bag purse since May.)

I don't know how I missed that scarf on knitty - it is super cute. I agree with Athos, I think you have a lot of leeway in terms of yarn choices, just so long as it will remain fairly true to shape and be soft enough to wear.

Finer or thicker guage yarn is just going to give you a thicker or thinner scarf. Provided you adjust your needle sizes accordingly. the pattern will still look great.

Oops, I bought size 6 needles even though the yarn is bulkier. However, I tend to knit really loose, so I'm thinking (hoping) that the small needle size will compensate for my insane loose knitting. So far it looks good...after knitting three rows, which involved having to look up what exactly "slip slip knit" was.
    I found a video on knittinghelp.com that had the directions for lefty knitters, and THAT was exciting.

Another Yarn Question

OK, since everyone was so helpful I thought I'd post the same question for another pattern. Soy Wool Stripes doesn't come in any colors I like for this pattern. Does anyone have any suggestions? It says to use size 11 needles, so I wonder how Lion Brand Homespun (my favorite cheap yarn) would work. Or maybe a boucle yarn would be a terrible idea.

http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepat...918a:&st=email

Doesn't this look like a fun pattern?

hmmm... homespun might work for that. 11 would be fine, but you should swatch to make sure that it comes out to the dimensions you want. it's not really necessary for a scarf, but it may be a difference of whole inches.

I thought I'd follow up, in case anyone else is trying the Pine Cone Scarf. I'm using two strands of Patons Soy Wool - two different solid colors, because all their variegated yarns seemed to have a random streak of pink or purple - and size 11 needles. I did not swatch because I am lazy about such things. The scarf looks *really* nice so far, so I recommend this pattern. It's an acceptable "man scarf" but it's pretty, too, and it knits up so quickly!

cool! can you post a pic when you are done?

Yes...after Christmas, as I don't want to post pictures of the Secret Scarf on the internet. (Even though I think the recipient has seen me working on it a few times...I'm going to TRY to keep it somewhat of a surprise.)

Remove Ads

Ads