why is my varnish crackling?

Hi all, I just registered here, and I need some help! I''m making some decoupaged tiles, and am trying to seal them with Minwax Polycrylic. The first layer goes on nicely, and then I sand them lightly according to directions, and then the second layer crackles like crazy. What am I doing wrong? Is there something better to use? Thanks for any help - I have a craft show next weekend, and I wanted to have these ready.

2. # ADS

I don't know about using it for decopage, but I refinish furniture and have had trouble with some brands of varnish. You might want to try another one and see if it helps.

You do have to be really careful about how much you put on, too. Super, super thin layers work best, so if you are putting it on thin, than it might be the varnish!

troubleshooting
    the only thing i can think of is how it would crack.. did you let the decoupage dry real well.. I am thinking a couple days at least before applying. and same with the first coat of minwax.
    if that is not it then think of something that might make it crackle. are you cleaning it off after sanding all the way? is there anything that got on it before the second layer? have you ever used minway before on other projects?

thanks for your responses! I just can't figure it out. The layers were very thin, the Mod Podge was dry about a week, the first coat of varnish dried overnight. I cleaned off the sanding really well, and nothing else got on it. I've been doing some experimenting, and it seems like if I put a REALLY thick layer on over the Mod Podge, it dries nicely, but it doesn't end up with that really thick varnish look I wanted. It might be the best I can do with this stuff though. I think for sure I'm going to try another brand - maybe a oil based varnish works better?

it could be that when you put the second layer of varnish on, it softens the first layer and creates stress that causes the crackling.

you may be looking for something more like this:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/18/

possible

have you thought of using something acrylic or appoxy ??

Remove Ads

Ads