Decorating Altoids boxes...

I''ve been saving Altoid boxes for years, cuz it just seems a crime to throw them away - they are cute, durable, a good size...

So this year, I want to do something with them to make gifts. I have the vague idea of covering them with odds and ends in a collage way - fabric, bits of old earrings or gems, paper, shells, buttons.... but I have no idea what kind of adhesive to use.

Does anyone have suggestions for me? Any tips from anyone else who has done this?

My idea is to cover them (outside for sure, maybe line them too) and then fill them with someone useful yet quirky that everyone needs - like unusual paperclips, or pretty pushpins, or multicolored safety pins. If anyone has a lead on a good vendor for that kind of product too, I''d be grateful - I''m looking for something beyond office depot...

THANK YOU!

Arequipe

2. # ADS

I've seen them made into "purse" sized mini-first aid kits, too. Small size packet of Ibprofen, some band-aids, and some other things that I can't remember! They were really cute!

I have no idea what kind of adhesive to use, but I do know that if you lightly sand the paint on the metal, it will help any adhesive to stick!

Good luck, I'd love to see pictures of them when they are done!

mod podge! works with paper. works with fabric. i could buy it by the gallon. or if you're not into the whole decoupage thang, tacky glue is good (you know, that cheap gold bottle of thick white glue) and yeah, definitely sand it!

Definitely Mod Podge. You can use that stuff on anything and it sticks.

In addition to the first aid kit suggestion, you could do survival kits - either a traditonal-style survival kit or one for a particular event or theme. Or make a keepsake box (or mini shrine).

I made a tiny shrine for my boyfriend--On one side I put a picture of us on shiny paper, glued down some plastic penguins, and on the other side (with more shiny paper) I wrote the lyrics to our song ("Little Trip to Heaven" by Tom Waits) Then I painted the whole thing (not my best paint job) and slipped it in his coat--he loved it!

XOXO,
    Libby

Remove Ads

Ads