Thread: Get-well craft

Get-well craft

My 16-year-old male cousin has a cancerous tumor in his knee. He lives far away and I want to mail him a craft. Any ideas? I'm going for a healing/hippie kind of thing. I know it won't actually heal anything btw, I just thought it'd be nice.

2. # ADS

ideas

maybe some smudge sticks (wrapped sage) i know he probably cannot light them but i know sage means a lot like cleansing, healing, good luck.. and smells pretty.
    also when not even any practicing religion it is always a nice thing to make a good luck doll a doll that is symbolic of them and their illness and them getting better

Not healing or hippy, but a cool paint by number might be fun for him. I've seen some nice quality styles at art supply stores.

Maybe a Chicken Soup for the Soul book?

What about instead of sending him a finished craft, send him something that he will need to assemble? That is, if he enjoys something like that.

If he is going to be down for awhile, you could always send him things to put together, like a car model. Or if he has a specific "thing", you can get lego sets for just about everything.

I can't think of too many crafts to send to boys...I'm having that problem for Christmas. I handmake gifts for everyone, and the men (but especially, the teenage boys) are the hardest.

Completed craft gift ideas:

Knit cap (toboggan caps are nice if he will have chemo, or just because teenage boys seem to wear them about)

Hot water bottle cover (or a heating pad cover - whatever is appropriate for whatever may be sore) - along that line, since it is his knee - you might be able to make a sock type thing that he could use to hold an ice pack or a heat pack in place

A lap blanket/afghan/regular blanket

You could use freezer paper stencils or an iron on transfer or something to decorate a tshirt - you could look for Celtic or Egyptian or Asian (or whatever moves you) symbols of healing or protection?

On a similar note, you could decorate a tote bag to house magazines/comics books/and various distractions when he goes for treatment or has limited mobility. You could use healing images or go with something snarky (a la "cancer sucks")

A journal (I think that documenting his experience can be healing and beneficial, but "journaling" may be a tough sell for a teenage boy. I'd go with a more tongue in cheek "long list of reasons my oncologist is evil" type design)

Ideas for crafts for him to do:

If he has ongoing treatments or needs to recover from surgery or something, he may be looking for things to keep him occupied.

Knitting or crochet could be a good option if you can find some manly yarns and patterns. I'm picturing hemp bags, amigurumi monsters and skully caps.

If he has patience for fine details, a how-to book, an exacto knife and some papers to get him started on Chinese Cut-Paper designs or making his own pop-up books.

Origami would be a good one too.

If he embraces the "it could be worse" philospohy, he might like making hats or blankets or prayer flags or other items for a charity or other sick kids.

That's all I can think of at the moment - let us know what you decide. And best of luck to your cousin.

If you have a budget that extends beyond crafting, a subscription for movies/video games/books on tape might also be nice.

If you live local, maybe a coupon book for different treats (cookies, candy, movies, etc). Sometimes steroids given with chemo can make you really hungry, and nothing tastes better than homemade goodies. :-)

You can't go wrong with a paint by number! https://mypaintbynumbers.com/

Paint by numbers for adults is a great way to spend time. Many of our customers are recovering from surgery or are bedridden. The paintings are really relaxing and help to take your mind off your worries. Please reach out to us if you think your cousin would like to try a painting - masterpiecebynumbers.com

Remove Ads

Ads