Stupid knitting!

Actually, stupid me. I decided to make a messenger bag, bought cool yarn, planned it all out and started knitting. Seven false starts later, I'm knitting away in front of the TV, la dee da.

A few weeks later, I'm halfway done and I realize that because I'm doing stockinette, my sides are rolling. And because my sides are rolling, the bag is WAY wider than I wanted it to be! So I'm faced with a few choices:

1) Keep at it.
    2) Unravel the whole darn thing and start over the correct way
    3) Make a tote bag--shorter handles, no flap (or keep the flap?)
    4) Take it in and ignore the wasted yarn on the sides, pretending it isn't there.

It needs to be ready in three weeks because I want to show it off when I start grad school. Help!

XOXO,
    Libby

2. # ADS

Hmm...are you working with wool? Could you felt it?

If you are planning to seam the bag up more than a couple of stitches in from the edge, I think that the "ignore it" option won't work - half of your storage space will be devoted to surplus knitting. If it isa matter of takingi t in two stitches on each side, that kind of seam may be okay.

If you are brave, you could cut off the excess - google steeks.

Tote bags are great - though less so when you wanted a messenger bag. Make the flap if you want. For that bit, you could always hem the outside to bring it down to size/keep the edges from curling.

The other thing to consider is how far along you are. Will continuing to knit more than is needed (in light of the excess width) take so long that you are better off ripping it out and starting over? I hate to rip out my work, but it is often a necessary evil.

Good luck!

That's what I was thinking--hemming the insides about an inch. It'll make the sides sturdier, which can't hurt, right? I'll be carrying a LOT of books.

My yarn is half wool--would it still felt? How do I felt?

Thanks for the suggestion!

XOXO,
    Libby

I have experimented with felting yarn that was partially wool, and I got it to work, but I''m not sure if this is true 100% of the time.
    If you are thinking about throwing it out anyway, it''s not going to hurt anything-- it''ll either felt or it''ll just get nice and clean! (hopefully!)
    Good luck

so i made this striped cell phone cozy a while back and felted it. it turned out that the black stripes were that wool ease yarn, not 100% wool so those stripes didn't felt like the turqouse did. oops. kind of an interesting effect but if you were to try to felt an entire item of a mixed yarn, i'm afraid you might wind up with something that just looks very used and worn. the acrylic, if that's what your yarn is mixed with, just doesn't take the heat and agitation so nicely....

(i hate having to rip stuff out when i'm so far into it, too!)

Remove Ads

Ads