Thread: learning to sew

learning to sew

I'm just now learning to sew. I want to make some cloth totes to sell this summer when i set up at Shipshewana. Does any one have any advice, patterns, or ideas for me? Even ideas of other simple useful things I could sew as a beginner.

Thanks!

PS I'm new to this forum but it seems like a really great place!

2. # ADS

hi

Hi there im new here also and newer to sewing. Ive been sewing since Oct. Would love to chat with you.. send me a msg sometime

here is a link to a site with all kinds of bag patterns also totes. Some have picture tutorials so you can learn how to make them.

http://henriettashandbags.com/Craft_Ideas.html

good luck!

thanks for the site! i'm going to check it out right now!

Well, hello there! I''m new, too.

Not new to sewing, but let''s say I haven''t met my potential yet. My mother''s a fantastic seamstress, but was always a bit paranoid about me getting hurt, so she didn''t teach me much. I''m 27, and only at a basic level.

I just got a book called The Sew Everything Workshop, by Diana Rupp. It''s really very good! It teaches you all the basic skills you need to do a project, and includes 10 patterns. There''s also little practice "assignments" at the end of chapters.

If you can''t find someone to sit you down and teach you, this book will suffice, I think.

Also, look on Youtube for sewing tutorials. There''s a bunch on there. I usually look there when there is a specific stitch I want to learn.

Congratulations on learning to sew! I'm sure by now youve been able to find tote patterns online. There are a ton of instructions on the net for all kind of bags.

My mom is a native of Elkhart, Ind. When we drive back from Chicago, where my sister lives, we stop in Goshen to visit w/ my aunt and cousin. Afterwards, if we have time, I like to stop in Shipshewana to browse before driving back East. One of my favorite stops is always to the ice cream shop, where they have someone making the huge home made pretzels! MMMMMM!!! 100 times better tasting than those pretzels sold at the malls!
    Is there a coop of some sort where you will set up your stuff to sell?

Hi! I''m new here and I have recently (for about a year) gotten serious about sewing. There are great websites with sewing tutorials. I love www.threadbanger.com! They focus on reconstructing clothing, and have very simple to follow videos. They have done a show on bags too. Seeing how simple sewing can be from that site really motivated me.

There is a free program you can download from www.wildginger.com. It is called wild things. It is for making patterns for totes, handbags, hats and many other items. It is easy to use and very helpful.

I too am just now learning to sew. I have a dinosaur of a sewing machine that I don''t know how to use yet!

I''m glad you posted this.... I can use all of these tips too!

Remove Ads

Ads