+ Reply to Thread

decoupaging and painting

Hey,

I''m trying my first decoupaging project. The plan is to decoupage patterned paper onto a mounted canvas, using the decoupaged paper as a background onto which I''ll paint a picture. I want the decoupage paper to be a subtle background, I don''t want it to disappear though.

To that end, a few questions.

1. I can''t decide whether to use watercolor or acrylic paints. Will acrylic come out totally opaque, thus hiding my decoupaged design below? On the other hand, will watercolor be too watery?

2. I''m going to use modge podge, which I''ve never used before. Should I modge-podge seal the decoupaged paper, and then paint over the modge podge? Or should I paint the paper directly, and then modge podge seal the whole thing?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS

first i would try a sample first. if you want the background low key, you could do a wash over it either with watercolor or watered-down acrylic (or medium). i don't think that the watercolor would work over the mod podge though.

if you choose to use acrylic, you could have a transparent or translucent effect if you use a medium (ie matte medium. actually, its consistency is a lot like mod podge minus the adhesive). the more medium you use, the more translucent the painting. without the medium, the acrylic would be opaque.

really depends on your desired end-result. i, for one, will put layers and layers of mod podge on things. OH and another idea to possibly tone down the background would be to use tissue paper - i use it when i want a solid background when i'm "podging" and the boo calls it.... i started doing that one night when i was too lazy and/or impatient to wait for paint to dry, put on another layer, repeat....

All great ideas. I did mod podge glue, let it dry, and did one thin layer of mod podge. Now I'm going to paint over that, and I think when it dries I'll use a spray matte sealant. Thanks for the tips. Decoupaging - fun.

Ads