knitting question

hi, i am a moderately skilled knitter but i am pushing myself on this one project.

where on the interwebs are good places for people like myself to post knitting questions/glitches and get good expert tips?

thanks in advance...im really stuck with this one project.

2. # ADS

You found the right place!! You can ask your question right here, as I see your topic has been moved from 'Freestyle' to 'Share a Craft'. So feel free! People here love to help.

thank you =)

i need some knitting guidance with this:

i have a pattern for a combo hat/scarve (its one combined garment) and have a question about it. i would post the pattern but i think its illegal to post patterns, is that correct?

so basically the pattern calls for thin yarn but i really like knitting with thick yarn, plus i find it to be warmer when wearing it. so my question is: how do i alter the pattern when switching up from thinner/regular size yarn (it calls for blue sky alpaca worsted 100 grams or 91.4 meters) to a thicker yarn (i have a thick yarn - dont know how thick exactly, how do i find out?)?

i want to still knit this patten but switch it up with the thicker yarn.

1) can i post the pattern, is that ok? cause that would make troubleshooting this a lot easier
    2) in general what is the rule for switching/altering patterns that call for thinner yarns when you want to use a thick yarn?

thanks SO much for your help.

check the gauge on the pattern. it should say how many stitches and rows per inch. make a swatch and determine how many stitches and rows are in an inch for this different yarn and adjust the pattern accordingly.

t's always a good idea to check your gauge even if you are using the correct yarn as many people's stitches differ.... like if my mom and i knit an identical item, she would have to use needles a size smaller than i because her stitches are very loose. beginning knitters tend to be on the tighter side i have found.

thank you very much! that seems like an obvious thing i should have figured out, but i didnt even think of it til you recommend it. so i knit a swatch and this particular yarn (with my knit tension), has 2 stitches per inch in width and 2 stitched per inch in height.

one more question, i will do my best to translate the different gauge with the pattern instructions, however i don't understand the pattern instructions when it says the following:

"bla bla bla - 20 sts remain"

example Repeat Rows 1 and 2 twice - 20 sts remain"

what is one supposed to do with those 20 sts? that bit is unclear to me.

sloane, are the instructions telling you to decrease? if so, 20 sts is what you should have on the needle when you are done with that instruction.

:-)

Remove Ads

Ads