Thread: metalwork

metalwork

I've been interested in making jewelry by soldering and stuff. I just have no idea how to. What can you make with soldering? What are the other sorts of jewelry making can you do that involve very high temperatures? I HAVE NO IDEA!
    Can someone please enlighten me?

2. # ADS

There are so many differnt metalsmithing techniques...literally hundreds. Some involve quite a bit of soldering & torchwork, some involve kilns and very high-temperatures, and some simply involve all "cold" techniques (this is where no heat is required, things like attaching with rivets and hinges and wirework).
    All the different techniques could fill pages and pages...I've been a metalsmith professionally for 4 years, and I've been taking classes for quite a bit longer so let me know what you're interested in and I can explain the processes & reccomend books/videos and online sites.

I think I'm most interested in soldering and torchwork. I just have no clue how to get started. There isn't any places around here where I could to a class, either.

Where in PA are you?

Jewelry: Fundamentals of Metalsmithing by Tim McCreight is a great book if you want to learn about fusing & soldering...or really any type of metal work. I bought it a few years ago and still look at it when working in th studio probably once or twice a week. It has great little tips, and would be perfect before deciding on the type of class you want to take as it had in-depth explanations and step by step pictures on the diferent types of soldering (chip, wire, pick, & sweat) and fusing, as well as a soldering troubleshooting guide. It also has quite a bit of information on pickle (the process after soldering to remove residue & oxides)..most books forget to mention the pickle process. I believe the book is about $20 on amazon.com

Also, if you're looking for classes http://www.ganoskin.com has an email list called "orchid"...I would join that and ask about classes there as there are dozens of professional metalsmiths in the philly area (and other parts of PA) on that list and I know quite a few of them offer studio classes.

Remove Ads

Ads