taking an art/craft class vs. learning from home

I started taking a jewelry & metalsmithing class this week. I really enjoyed the class and realized it had probably been 8 years or so since I'd taken a class. I've been so DIY the past few years, I've been teaching myself anything I needed to know via books, magazines, experimentation, tips from friends and tips from websites.

So I was sort of blown away at the fact that I didn't just enjoy what I was learning in the class but just the class itself. Anyone had any similar experiences? I grew up taking art and dance classes and studied art a lot in college so I guess it is more abnormal for me NOT to be taking a class. I had a total moment of realization that I love being in the communal environment of a classroom...and being in a studio (and not some corner of my living room) was really, really inspiring as well!

2. # ADS

I really wish I could find a place near me to learn some new things. We just moved and I don't know of a lot of places near me that do it just yet.

Most of my learning has been right from at home BUT I'd love to find a place to go to learn along with others.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

When you are learning with others, its a totally new experience. Plus a class keeps you motivated and you have something to look forward to. For totall beginners learning something through a class makes them feel confident.

I remember years ago attending a class where we learnt to create different types of crafts. I absolutely loved it and would do one again any day when I find the time.

Several years ago I took a class on how to re-cane a chair. I really enjoyed the experience and would love to take more classes in other things. I love to dabble in just about anything. If only I had unlimited funds!

There are plenty of places here to learn a new artistic or crafty skill. Museums, studios, coops, etc.

oh man, unlimited funds for classes would be amazing!
    sewlittletime, do you have a picture of your chair? that sounds really cool!

I wish I did, Christy, but I actually sold it at last year's garage sale since I really didn't have a use for it. It was great for a practice chair though, and the guy who bought it thought I had done a fantastic job!

I'm going to have to bug my brother-in-law to find the chair (probably now buried in his garage attic space) he found on the roadside that needs new caning. It might look cute with the desk that I'm refinishing!!

I have been actually considering doing chair caning as a sideline to earn a bit of moolah. But, uh....I need to get my hands on several chairs to refresh my memory!

oh, you should totally get back into that! I bet there aren't that many people who recane chairs but I bet lots of people have stuck chairs away here and there thinking "someday I'll get this fixed". You should totally go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Christy Petterson
    oh, you should totally get back into that! I bet there aren't that many people who recane chairs but I bet lots of people have stuck chairs away here and there thinking "someday I'll get this fixed". You should totally go for it!
    It's one of those things I should do that pops up on my list, but then I totally forget about until later. UGH. Life has been way too hectic for me lately. I'll be so happy when the boys are back in school (I've been Home schooling) and we've moved from this house into a townhouse. My time has been sucked up trying to keep up with too much stuff!
    I really look forward to having the time to pursue my interests!!

oh i TOTALLY hear ya! I can't seem to get a handle on my life ;)

Remove Ads

Ads